Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Hudson's Birth Story

The wait is finally over!  Welcome to the world Hudson!

 

Hudson Bryan Villoria
Born April 29th, 8:22am
8lbs 8oz
22 1/2" 

 Last Monday we packed our bags and made our way to the hospital, a mix of emotions and no idea what was about to happen. We checked into the hospital at 8:20pm.  They brought us to our room and within minutes I was in bed and hooked up to monitoring equipment.  I'd planned for an all natural birth, laboring how I wanted with intermittent monitoring.  I quickly found out that was not going to be the case.  When you have pregnancy complications you have to be monitored constantly.  So from the minute I got there I was stuck in bed, unable to move around with monitors strapped to me.  They gave me the Cervidil and told me to sleep.  As if that was possible with all that stuff strapped to me!  Throughout the night the nurse came in a number of times looking at my readings and telling me I needed to change positions or adjust the monitors.  At about 6:30 am the nurse told me they had to take the Cervidil out and I would have to be put on Pitocin.  There were some issues and the Cervidil wasn't working anyway.  I was so disappointed, I really didn't want to have to use Pitocin.  Shortly after that nurses were coming in pretty often and they told me my Doctor was on her way even though she wasn't supposed to be in until that evening when I delivered.  Something was clearly wrong. Around 7:30 four nurses came rushing into the room, they turned me on my side, put oxygen on me, hooked up an IV and were clearly distressed.  I was told my doctor just arrived, and an anesthesiologist was on his way and I would be taken to the OR in a few minutes.  I was about to have a C-section, NOW!

Throughout the night every time I would have a contraction, once the contraction was over the baby's heart rate would drop significantly for a period of timeThis meant my placenta was not sending oxygen to the baby during that time.  Around 7am, his heart rate started to drop from 140 bpm to below 60bpm and they were having a hard time getting it back up.  This only happened about 3 times before I was sent in for an emergency c-section.

It was hard to process, everything happened so quick.  I was so disappointed, but also very scared.  My baby was at risk.  My disappointment was quickly replaced with new emotions though, because within minutes I was listening to my baby cry and it was all over.  Hudson was born at 8:22am on Tuesday morning.  Just 12 hours after we checked into the hospital the night before!


Holding him in my arms, staring into his beautiful little face.... I just have no words to describe it.  He is by far my greatest accomplishment in life.  A tiny miracle that is so incredible, I just didn't know my heart could ever be so overwhelmed with love and happiness! He is such an amazing blessing.  The following days in the hospital were the best days of my life.  I healed so quickly from the surgery.  It seemed like just holding him and looking at him took away my pain and healed me.  We left the hospital Friday morning, three days after he was born.  Life has been amazing ever since.  I don't mind not sleeping because I'd rather be holding him, feeding him or changing him than sleeping.  Every second is just so precious! I am so in love! 


 

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! He is so handsome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful! I'm so glad you healed quickly and have been able to enjoy this precious time. How is Jason adjusting to being a daddy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a big adjustment for both of us! But he's a great Daddy!

      Delete